Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going
.

Monday, May 2, 2011

Auntie Flo, was that you?

I'm beginning to have serious doubts that the couple days of bleeding I had starting on March 22 was, in fact, the return of my period.  I am now on like CD 1203983187243 with no bleeding since the 22nd.  Granted, I suck at temping.  It is so hard to be motivated to wake at 6:30 AM when your baby lets you sleep (also, having a baby this easy does not help stave off the desire to have eleventy hundred awesome kids just like him and his big brother).

I have no idea what to expect as far as cycle length when breastfeeding.  I have gone through periods of time where, based on my mood, I expected my period to show any day, but nada!! This is such a cruel and unusual tease.  I am sticking to my (renewed) vow of abstinence until 6 months PP, so there is definitely no risk of pregnancy and I randomly take my OPKs and haven't caught an O(vulation) at all, so I figured I was on the other side of O.  But, maybe not?  I am just learning to check my cervix....I know for sure I have found it, but I am not nearly skilled enough to interpret any fertility signs by feel.  How much do you think K and B would charge me for weekly cervical exams? I could go in on prenatal day---except they would be like preprepreprenatals for me.

So is this normal? Can I have had a period back in March and just be having a super long cycle? Maybe the bleeding was anovulatory?  Or maybe it was residual lochia?  That was almost 3 months PP and I had long since stopped having bleeding after the birth, so that is why I assumed it was my period.

As an aside, I just finished Baby Catcher (loved it! can't wait to blog it!!) and started up Birth Matters in the past couple days.  There is this awesome quote in Birth Matters that I want to share here and now:


"It's actually quite gratifying to observe a woman with an MD, a JD, or a PhD hunker down and find her natural woman and realize she knows how to give birth as well as any orangutan on the planet.  It's awesome."

Damn, Ina, tell it!

2 comments:

  1. My first post-partum cycle was 53 days long. I've seen Others that were longer. Breastfeeding does strange things to your cycles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, that's good to know! I just really got into observing fertility signs as we were TTC E, and I would say I'm only intermediate level with it. I have noticed some fertile looking mucus a couple times this cycle, including as recently as this week, so maybe I haven't Od yet? I guess I won't know for awhile yet....maybe :)

    ReplyDelete