Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going
.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

On courage....

A couple of days ago, I briefly mentioned how lucky I actually am to be counted amongst the group of women who have given birth to their children by cesarean and the strength I see in so many of us.  A new friend, M, shared a blog post with me that says so much more eloquently than I did just what it means to me to be a cesarean mom, and how I feel about the many other women who stand beside me having birthed their children this way.

As much strength and courage as it takes me to decide to try for a vaginal birth for T, I recognize the same qualities in women who choose cesarean births for their future children.  Neither decision is easy or, I'm sure, is made lightly, and I have such compassion for any woman who has to make the difficult choice.  There really is no right or wrong--this issue simply cannot be made black and white and all I hope is that whatever decision a woman makes, she has loving support and gentle understanding.

And M, I'm so happy you're my friend and I am doubly happy that you are on the journey to becoming a midwife.  I wonder if your practice will bring you many VBAC moms--from the sensitivity, compassion and empathy you have displayed towards me, I can't help but think you would be such a blessing in the lives of many of us in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Melek, I cried when I read this. Thank you so much for posting it. For me, it really took every ounce of emotional strength I could summon to lie down on that table a second time after a beautiful labor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really touched me too, Catherine. I'm so glad my friend passed it on and I've been sharing it with all my cesarean sisters :) too. It is so beautifully written and there is so much truth in it. I'm glad you enjoyed it as well.

    ReplyDelete